- Center for Career and Professional Development
- Lamar University Ambassadors
- Television Academy Foundation Internships
Guest Speaker: Sandra Borne, Area Director for the Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club
Discussion of Chapter 3
- Dr. Tom Kelleher: Public relations as a management function
Discussion of the Practitioner Interview Assignment
In-class Assignment: Taking what you have learned and read so far, draft questions for the practitioner interview assignment. Incorporate material learned in the class and from the readings into the questions.
Write interview questions that will obtain the following information:
- Background information of the person’s educational and professional history.
- Background information on their professional experience
- Information about the company/organization in which the person works, i.e., where is it located, the kind of business it is, number of employees, type of products manufactured or sold, etc.
- Information about the person’s day-to-day activities including specific explanations of job roles, job duties and job responsibilities
- Information about what public relations activities the person does and/or supervises.
- Biggest challenges the person faces doing public relations for the company/organization.
- Identification of the publics of the organization and their importance to the organization
- His or her thoughts on pressing issues in public relations today (e.g., diversity in PR, gender pay gap, “fake news” and “alternative facts”)
In order to make sure you get the information you need for your paper, you must give careful thought to the questions you want to ask the person you interview.
Each group must come up with at least 15 questions. All groups should enter their questions in the comments section of this blog by the end of the class period. Good luck!
• Where did you attend college?
• What degree did you graduate with?
• What internships did you participate in prior to getting this job?
• What company do you work for?
• What is the purpose of the company?
• Where is the company that you work for located?
• What is the employee hierarchy of the company?
• How many employees are there?
• How did you get to the position that you’re in now?
• What’s a general rundown of your daily duties?
• Can you specify and describe each of those job roles and responsibilities?
• Out of those roles, which ones fall under public relations?
• Do you supervise any public relations facets of the company?
• What’s the easiest thing about handling public relation-type roles for this company?
• What’s the biggest challenge you encounter regarding public relations for this company?
• Who are the publics for this organization?
• What role do those demographics play toward this company?
• Are there any pressing issues in public relations that affect or shape the way you work, essentially?
Jeanna Gonzales, Rachel Green and Allen LaNear
1. What field did you major in when attending college?
2. Did you go to Graduate School?
3. Did you start in Public Relations or in a different field?
4. Did you have any internships and if so how many and what were your responsibilities?
5. Do you have any other skill sets outside of P.R.?
6. How did you get your first job?
7. What companies have you worked for?
8. Did you have any professional connections before going into the P.R. Industry?
9. When did you start working for ________?
10. How many employees and peers do you work with daily and weekly basis?
11. What is a typical day look like for you?
12. What does your company specialize in?
13. What has been your biggest challenge while working in P.R.?
14. When was your first big break though in the P.R. industry?
15. How do you feel about the gender pay gap within the industry today?
16. Do you feel “fake news” and “alternative facts” makes your job more difficult?
Names( La’Davia Bundage, Ryan Romero. Ce’nese Wooteen, Abigail Zuniga)
1.How many years of experience do you have in PR?
2.How does team membership effect the job
3. How much PR knowledge do you have ?
4. What College/University did you attend?
5. What did you major and receive a degree in?
6. What are the pro’s and con’s of the PR profession?
7. Previous employment?
8. Did you always want to work in PR
9. What do you do on a day to day basis on the job
10. What problems are there in PR?
11. What things do you oversee on the job ?
12. How do you show your clients that you value them?
13. Do you feel as though your views have an effect on the company?
14. What type of hours do you work ?
15. Where do you work,how long and what position?
16. What internships did you do ?
How did you get into PR?
What is your specific job title?
How long have you been with the company?
What do you enjoy most about working here?
What degree do you have?
What steps were taken to achieve your job?
What are some daily tasks you would complete on a day-to-day basis?
What are some challenges that someone in this position would face?
Do you believe your gender has anything to do with your salary?
What is your annual salary?
Where do you see this company in the next few years?
Do you feel you’ve peaked in your career?
Do you think one day you may fulfill a higher position in this company?
How would you describe the work environment here?
Can you tell me about a project that you worked on that you are proud of?
What 3 tips could you offer someone just starting in PR?
Sable Hankins, Bill Warrington, Joesph Jones,
1. Where did you get your degree from?
2.Did you major in PR?
3. How did you build your social network?
4. How did you get to where you are at now?
5. What would you change about your career?
6. What is your role?
7. What advice would you give anyone wanting a career in Public relations?
8. What is a typical work day for you?
9. what are the negatives about your career?
10. How long does it tale to rise up in your career?
11. What is one skill set that you wish you would have focused on before entering your profession?
12. What resources did you use to find your job?
13. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
14. What are your views on the gender pay gap?
15. Who has been your mentors?
• Where did you attend college and what for
• What other places have you worked PR for? What type of PR do you do?
• What type of internships have you had and for what company?
• What does your company do? Where is it located?
• What type of service or product is offered by the company?
• What are specific job duties and responsibilities are required of you daily?
• What type of PR activities do you supervise?
• What’s the biggest challenge you grace in doing PR for the company you currently work for?
• How do you identify and asses the company’s publics? How crucial is the public to the company’s success?
• What do you think about the current issues in PR (diversity, gender pay gap, etc.)
• What opportunities have you had for networking?
• How would you suggest improving your network of connections?