Digital Communications Specialist at USHRN
The US Human Rights Network (USHRN) seeks a Digital Communications Specialist to support its work to raise awareness on human rights concerns in the United States, and build the collective voice of the human rights movement. USHRN is a national network of organizations and individuals working to strengthen a human rights movement and culture within the United States led by the people most directly impacted by human rights violations. USHRN works to secure dignity and justice for all. USHRN is seeking a highly skilled and experienced online communications and data management expert with a strong understanding of human rights and social justice to support its communications strategy.
Position Overview: The Digital Communications Specialist will 1) be responsible for managing USHRN’s website to situate it as the information hub for human rights work in the U.S; 2) developing and disseminating online and social media content; 3) maintaining the organizational database, and 3) communicating with membership as needed. The Digital Communications Specialist will report to the Executive Director. Occasional travel, and work on some evenings and weekends required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage USHRN’s website on a regular basis including developing dynamic content. Updates, copyediting and proofreading all web content, fixing links, and working with external vendors to create new and modify existing website features as needed.
- Maintain a consistent look and feel across website.
- Work with staff to respond to public inquiries and information requests.
Online Communications and Social Media:
- Manage and grow USHRN’s use of new media technologies including but not limited to FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. on a daily basis.
- Advises staff on digital and social media best practices.
- Produce and disseminate USHRN online communications including newsletter, emails to members, action alerts, and quarterly updates with input from staff, members and partners.
- Manage the development of multi-media content including video, podcasts as needed.
- Monitors and uses judgment to responds online in real time to developments impacting membership related to human rights domestically.
- Develop and maintain an organizational calendar.
- Manage technology used for online communications.
Database Management and other communications:
- Work with interns to ensure that database is updated on a regular basis
- Manage periodic clean up on database.
- Monitor and analyze website, online and social media statistics to increase organization’s exposure and interaction with target audiences.
- Manage annual campaign to highlight the work of the human rights community.
- Work with outside consultants to manage media relations.
- Occasionally photograph or video record events and gatherings and/or manage staff and other interns to photograph or video record events.
- Provide digital marketing reports/analytics for website traffic, metrics, etc.
Qualifications: The USHRN is looking for an individual with demonstrated commitment to human rights values and USHRN’s guiding principles. In addition to a commitment to domestic human rights work including racial, gender and economic justice, the ideal candidate will have a strong background in online and social media communications, a passion for strengthening organizational digital communications and website presentation. Specific qualifications and required experience include:
- A minimum of two years of experience in communications, online and social media management and, a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related area;
- Demonstrated background in social justice with racial and gender justice analysis;
- Familiarity with human rights standards, principles, laws and mechanisms and ability to analyze social issues and develop human rights frames and messages;
- Excellent organizational, proofreading, internal communication and writing skills;
- Experience with constituency management database systems such as Salsa;
- Knowledge of and experience with website upkeep (Drupal experience a plus; Basic HTML knowledge for troubleshooting problematic source code within the Drupal and Salsa WYSIWYGs.
- Strong background in FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media outlets;
- Experience working in fast paced environment and with racially, economically and linguistically diverse communities;
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and be a good team player;
- Fluent English required and Spanish preferred;
- Graphic design expertise a plus
- Creative thinker a plus.
Compensation: Salary range is $45,000 to $60,000, depending on experience, and is full time. Position can be based in New York or Atlanta. Generous benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, employer-supported pension plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and generous vacation, holiday, personal and sick days.
Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, senior citizens, youths, and disabled individuals are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing samples, including resource/curriculum/workshop you have developed, to USHRN, Attn: Job Search Committee, 250 Georgia Ave, Suite 330, Atlanta, Georgia 30312. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org – No phone inquiries please.
Deadline: May 8, 2015