Senior Writer/Editor, GRACE Communications Foundation
GRACE Communications Foundation develops innovative strategies to increase public awareness of the critical environmental and public health issues created by our current food, water and energy systems, and to promote a more sustainable future.
GRACE is currently seeking a Senior Writer/Editor to work with our Communications Department to support the foundation’s programs through the development, management and execution of content and communication strategies for discrete projects and campaigns as well as ongoing program work. The Senior Writer/Editor will help manage production of blog posts, articles, newsletters and more, and edit said content for easy read- and search-ability. This full-time position reports to the Communications Director.
In addition, the Senior Writer/Editor will:
- Edit new content across GCF properties, (with guidance/support from directors) including:
- Monthly and weekly newsletters,
- Articles (blog posts),
- Media outreach materials such as press releases,
- Evergreen content including landing and issue pages, one-pagers, etc.,
- Print collateral including brochures and handouts and
- Content for other publications, including multimedia and LTEs.
- Aid in the maintenance of a comprehensive editorial calendar for the organization, and keep content production in line with the calendar (working with the communications manager, who leads this process).
- Collaborate with program staff to manage content audits of existing content.
- Continue to review and edit top-trafficked pages.
- Track and respond (or, with appropriate staff, coordinate response) to comments on the site.
- Support staff production of video and audio content.
- Work with the communications team to initiate and maintain high-level media partnerships.
- Other programmatic work, as needed.
- The Senior Writer/Editor must have a clear understanding of environmental issues around food, water and energy systems, and demonstrated expertise in writing and editing.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills & qualifications:
- BA or BS in environmental science, food and agriculture or communications. MA preferred.
- Ability to break down academic and technical information into easily understood, editorial-style writing.
- Solid writing and editing skills, and strategic understanding of writing for multiple platforms but especially the web.
- Working knowledge of/experience with Search Engine Optimization.
- Experience with CMS, especially Word Press.
- Solid grasp of environmental issues around food, water and energy.
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years of professional writing/editing experience.
- Sound judgment and the ability to quickly come to understand the foundation’s positions on a range of issues and identify issues that require input from foundation leadership.
- A plus: basic photography/photo editing skills.
- Strong qualitative/quantitative research skills.
- Flexibility to travel in performance of duties.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resumé, with desired compensation firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “Social Media/Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. Candidates should also include links to social profiles they have managed.
GRACE Communications Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates, regardless of race, gender, age or sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.
We offer excellent benefits, and compensation is commensurate with experience.
Applications will be accepted until May 1, 2015.
No phone calls, please.
To learn more about us, go to www.gracelinks.org