Activities for today’s class
Part 1: Select three of the Business Keywords you are knowledgeable about.
Part 2: For each topic, create a thesis statement.
Part 3: Then apply the rules for the main points from this chapter to write two to five main points you would cover in delivering a presentation relevant to your thesis. Express each main point in a complete sentence.
Part 4: Prepare an introduction and a conclusion for the topics you developed.
Part 5: Then, exchange your paper with a classmate. Use the checklists for the introduction and conclusion found on p. 281 (Self-Assessment: Checklist of Organizing a Presentation)** to review each other’s introductions and conclusions.
** In case you don’t have your book, here is the checklist:
Does the introduction
- Capture the attention of your audience?
- Give your audience reasons to listen?
- Set an appropriate tone?
- Establish your qualifications, if necessary?
- Introduce your thesis and preview the content?
Does the body
- Use the most effective organizational pattern?
- State your main points in complete sentences?
- Use your main points to develop your thesis?
- Contain no more than five main points?
- Express only one idea in each main point?
- State your main points in parallel strucutre if possible?
Do you have transitions that
- Refer to both recent and upcoming material, showing relationships between the two?
- Emphasize your important ideas?
- Clarify the structure of your ideas?
- Exist in all necessary parts of the presentation?
- Between introduction and body
- Between main points within the body
- Between body and conclusion
Does the conclusion
- Review your thesis and your main points?
- Conclude with an effective closing statement?