There are many resources on the free Web that can be used to find general demographic data, including:
- American FactFinder
This U.S. Census Bureau site provides access to a variety of data, at the city, county, and state level for the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Island Areas. Data are obtained from many different surveys and censuses.
- American Time Use Survey
The American Time Use Survey provides information about “the amount of time people spend doing various activities, such as paid work, childcare, volunteering, and socializing.”
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics provides various types of employment-related data for U.S. regions, states, and local areas.
- Consumer Expenditure Survey
Consumer Expenditure Survey data are collected for the Bureau of Labor Statistics by the U.S. Census Bureau. Data “provide information on the buying habits of American consumers, including data on their expenditures, income, and consumer unit (families and single consumers) characteristics.”
- County Business Patterns
This site, maintained by the U.S. Census Bureau, provides economic data organized by industry. Per the Census Bureau, the data can be used “for analyzing market potential, measuring the effectiveness of sales and advertising programs, setting sales quotas, and developing budgets.”
- Esri ZIP Lookup
This tool provides demographic and lifestyle information by ZIP code.
This Nielsen Company site characterizes U.S. ZIP code areas in terms of 66 distinct lifestyle types, which it refers to as “segments.”
This site compiles data from numerous sources, allowing users to compare countries on a variety of characteristics.
- State and County QuickFacts
This U.S. Census Bureau site provides access to a variety of data regarding people, businesses, and geography, at the city, county, and state level for the United States.
This site compiles data from numerous sources, allowing users to compare U.S. states on a variety of characteristics.
- ESRI: Built on Esri’s location technology, this app queries Esri’s expansive library of spending, demographic, and lifestyle data to pull insights about your selected ZIP Code. This app also uses cloud-based analytical tools along with street network data to generate drive times and buffers on-the-fly.
- Try it with your ZIP code.
- Sample: https://downloads.esri.com/esri_content_doc/dbl/us/tapestry/segment54.pdf
Millennial and Gen Y Demographic and Psychographic Data:
- Goldman Sachs: http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/pages/millennials/
- Pew Research Center: http://www.pewresearch.org/2009/12/10/the-millennials/
- Bloomberg View: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/interactives/2015-millennials/
Student Demographic Data
In general, here are some sites with information about college students:
Here are sites with demographics for Lamar University:
- Lamar University Profile on College Portraits
- Lamar University Profile on College Navigator
- Lamar University Student Performance Dashboard
- Marketing Charts: https://www.marketingcharts.com/
- Pew Research Center — Internet and Technology: http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/01/09/demographics-of-key-social-networking-platforms-2/