- Here is the latest newsletter from the Department of Communication: http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e00c2710d4e2dbc916761a0ed&id=101905c96e&e=[UNIQID] — Read this if you want to know about internships and events on campus.
Research Notes from the Library Session
You will use both primary and secondary research in this public relations class.
Primary research is “an investigation or the collection of data firsthand, or by a third party contracted specifically for the firsthand party” (Accredited in Public Relations, n.d.). This is research you do yourself that has not been done before.
Secondary research “uses the research findings of others, or collects information secondhand” (Accredited in Public Relations, n.d.). Secondary research is the examination of research previously conducted by others.
Here’s more about primary and secondary research:
Here is a quick video about using the library’s resources for secondary research:
Additional Research Tools:
- Pew Research Center: http://www.pewresearch.org/
- Nielsen Insights: http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights.html
- Nielsen ZIP Code Lookup: https://segmentationsolutions.nielsen.com/mybestsegments/Default.jsp?ID=20&pageName=ZIP%2BCode%2BLookup&menuOption=ziplookup
- ESRI Tapestry (psychographics): http://www.esri.com/landing-pages/tapestry
- Institute for Public Relations: http://www.instituteforpr.org/
- U.S. Census Bureau: https://www.census.gov/
- American Fact Finder: https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/searchresults.xhtml?refresh=t#none
- On the Map: https://onthemap.ces.census.gov/
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Google Insights: https://www.google.com/insights/#/?modal_active=none&insights-tabs_active=categoryinsights
- Google Trends: https://www.google.com/trends/
- VALS (psychographics): http://www.strategicbusinessinsights.com/vals/scarborough.shtml
- PRISMZ (psychographics): https://segmentationsolutions.nielsen.com/mybestsegments/Default.jsp?ID=30&menuOption=segmentdetails&pageName=Segment%Details
- National Retail Center Retail Insights: http://research.nrffoundation.com/Default.aspx#.WJsv9NArJBw
- Trendwatching: http://trendwatching.com/freepublications/
- YPulse (millennial marketing and insights): https://www.ypulse.com/