GEORGIA STATE SENATE PRESS OFFICE
Communications Aide Job Description
2016 Legislative Session
The Georgia State Senate Press Office is currently looking to fill two (2) Aide positions for the 2016 Legislative Session of the Georgia General Assembly. This is a temporary, full-time paid position that will run from mid-January to April. Responsibilities of the Senate Press Office Aide include:
- Compiling daily news clips
- Answering and directing phone calls (screen, take messages, transfer calls for staff)
- Accurately recording bill recaps and vote counts
- Writing and editing a “Week in Review” document for Senators and legislative staff
- Drafting press releases
- Uploading web content
- Maintaining and updating media lists
- Assisting with press conferences
- Identifying and brainstorming communications strategies with SPO staff
- Attending and recording committee meetings when necessary for SPO staff
- Monitoring social media sites and drafting editorial plans and strategy
- Assisting in weekly tapings (scripts) and assist with video editing
- Providing research support on a wide range of other issues as needed
Candidates must have strong written communication skills, knowledge of communication strategy andfamiliarity with social media plans. Preference will be given to candidates with PR, Communications, Political Science or Professional Writing backgrounds. Please send resumes, three (3) writing samples and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 20.
The Senate Press Office is the official press and media relations office for the Georgia Senate. This office does not produce campaign-related materials, write campaign speeches, or participate in other campaign-related or partisan activities beyond the scope of the day to day duties.
For information on the Georgia State Senate’s paid/college credit intern program, visit http://www.legis.ga.gov/intern/en-US/default.aspx.