1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East is the largest, fastest-growing, most progressive healthcare union in the country, and we are looking for a Press Secretary to work out of our New York City office.
The members of 1199SEIU are driven by a mission to achieve quality healthcare and good jobs for all. If you want to work in a fast-paced, action-oriented environment, using the latest communications strategies to win social justice for working families, this job is for you.
• Developing and executing both the New York region and national press strategies for the organization.
• Asserting the union’s role as a leading national voice for quality healthcare and good jobs.
• Developing short and long term press outreach plans.
• Working with communications staff in our other regions to optimize and coordinate our press strategies.
• Working with leaders and organizers to fulfill their press outreach needs around campaigns and union-wide mobilizations.
• Developing messaging and talking points on specific issues and for the organization as a whole.
• Training leaders, members and staff to be effective media spokespeople.
• Developing, maintaining and expanding the union’s media database.
• Writing and distributing press releases, op-eds and letters to the editor and making pitch calls.
• Forming strong working relationships with key reporters and editors.
• Ensuring the union and our issues have a strategic, consistent and powerful presence in the media.
• Beyond press relations, taking responsibility for coordinating whole communications campaigns, including planning and budgeting, writing literature and ads, etc.
• Excellent ability to work closely with a team, accommodate requests from team members, and assimilate input from multiple sources.
• Excellent inter-personal skills, a positive, enthusiastic attitude and a commitment to contribute to a positive work environment.
• An ability and commitment to modeling pro-active leadership behavior and skills.
• The ability, experience, energy and enthusiasm to take responsibility for whole communications campaigns and pro-actively see each component through to a successful conclusion.
• Deep commitment to the labor movement and progressive causes.
• Excellent visual, written and verbal communications skills.
• BA or higher.
• At least 5 years experience working in communications and press relations for progressive political campaigns, non-profit organizations or unions.
• Proficiency in Word and Excel and ability to learn media database technology required.
• Experience with social media tools and campaigns.
• Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines, changing priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours.
1199SEIU is an affirmative action employer- women, people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation: 1199 offers competitive salaries as well as excellent benefits.
Send cover letter, work samples and resume to: email@example.com