ReThink Media is a unique media and communications organization that works to strengthen the collaborative media and communications capacity of nonprofit think tanks, experts, and advocacy groups working in three distinct issue areas and sectors. These include Money in Politics and Fair Courts, Peace and Security, and Security and Rights.
ReThink Media is seeking qualified applicants for the Managing Director position with our Money in Politics and Fair Courts Communications Collaborative currently comprised of more than 60 organizations working to strengthen our democracy, curb the influx of money in politics, and ensure an independent judiciary free of the influence of special interest spending. The project seeks to strengthen the communications capacity of organizations in the sector, to broaden the movement for reform, and to develop shared messaging and media strategies that channel the growing outrage at decisions such as Citizens United into effective action and change. This is also an evolving movement and the Managing Director will help lead efforts to expand the work to include communications strategies that connect the issues above with efforts to combat voter suppression and expand voting rights as well as promote redistricting reform. More broadly, the Managing Director will work to advance an inclusive, participatory and genuinely representative democratic process that affirms the voice of all Americans including those who are marginalized by the current status quo.
We provide our member organizations with access to a state-of-the-art media database, press distribution, and clipping service. We provide ongoing training in critical media and communications skills. We monitor and conduct extensive media and opinion research, and assist groups with message development. We also work to improve collaboration and coordination amongst organizations and assist groups and campaigns with direct media and public relations support, including coordinating rapid response, assisting with op-ed and editorial campaigns, and the pitching and placement of spokespeople.
The Managing Director is responsible for building the capacity of both the individual reform organizations and the sector as a whole. The Money in Politics and Fair Courts Collaborative will develop shared media and messaging strategies and multi-organizational campaigns. The project is designed to be expansive so additional organizations can participate as the field expands. It is also based on the understanding that while the goal is to strengthen the strategic communications capacity of a growing field, that objective will be enabled by providing substantial benefits to individual organizations.
The Managing Director supervises 2-3 Media Associates and also work with ReThink’s core team, including the organizations two co-Founders, a specialized Digital Media Strategist and a Public Opinion and Media Analyst. The Managing Director position is supervised by ReThink Media’s Campaigns Director and co-Founder, Peter Ferenbach.
She/he will work with groups to coordinate joint rapid response campaigns, informed by extensive news coverage monitoring and tailored press lists. S/he will also facilitate social media campaign work, which will involve monitoring and analyzing online metrics and content on Money in Politics groups and issues, providing groups with training in the use of social media tools, and crafting and disseminating posts in support of existing initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have 7-10 years of experience working in strategic communications, advocacy, political or campaign communications, and will have a strong understanding of the workings of the non-profit research and advocacy community. S/he will have direct experience and/or demonstrated commitment to Money in Politics issues and an understanding of the issues and organizations working in this field. S/he will also have a proven track record of project management. Experience working as a Hill or NGO communications staffer, supervising or managing a communications team or campaign, and/or a proven track record in developing media outreach strategies is preferred.
ReThink’s approach to communications is grounded in movement building and in strengthening sector-wide communications capacity towards a shared policy objective. Our goal is helping organizations become stronger, faster, more agile, and more effective in their media work.
Specific goals will be set quarterly, corresponding to the following duties:
- Provide groups in the sector with a regular digest of relevant news, opinion and social media coverage of the Money in Politics and Fair Courts Collaboratives’ priority issues and identify key opportunities for rapid response.
- Draft timely and effective talking points, messaging tips, op-eds and letters to the editor in response to breaking news developments or ahead of known media opportunities.
- Develop expertise regarding the key reporters and outlets covering the issues. Assist and train groups in developing and maintaining tailored press lists. Supervise the updating of ReThink Media’s press lists and its unique online Journalist Profiles site, including updating reporter pitch notes according to coverage and identifying additional outlets/ reporters to target.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the Money in Politics and Fair Courts organizations we work with, the issues they address, their unique media profiles, their key spokespeople and areas of expertise, and be able to quickly identify who the best organizations or experts are to connect to a reporter or to write an op-ed, LTE etc., on a breaking story.
- Manage the staffing of specific coalition efforts in coordination with the co-Founders and the funders.
- Manage the pitching and placement of spokespeople and content, development of online strategies, implementation of strategies for outreach to Hill communications staff, and tracking of all work.
- Support the individual media work and communications capacity of groups within the collaborative. This often includes assisting groups in developing a strategic communications plan, implementing media strategies, building press lists, assisting in the editing and development of media content, assisting with pitching and placement, providing media training, and conducting audits of coverage.
- Work in collaboration with the Data and Public Opinion Analyst on longer-term research projects such as media and public opinion audits and coverage analysis of specific issues, frames and outlets.
- Provide expert training to member organizations and spokespeople in media skills such as conducting effective broadcast interviews, writing op-eds, engaging editorial boards, and driving social media strategies, among others.
- Manage the recruitment and supervision of Media Associates, interns and fellows.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Very strong writing, editing, communications and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the issues outlined above and 5-7 years of experience working in communications strategy, community or political organizing, campaigns, or all of the above.
- A proven record of effective coalition-building or management of multi-organizational campaigns.
- Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage, writing press materials, developing media strategies and/or pitching stories.
- A creative and strategic ability to frame ideas, develop stories and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to the news media and a wide variety of audiences.
- Excellent news sense and political savvy.
- Knowledge of print, broadcast and electronic news media.
- A proven track record managing a fast-paced, multi-faceted workload, ideally involving media and communications.
- Strong training, mentoring and/or supervisory skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, foundations and the media.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
- Strong research and administrative skills.
- Experience with Filemaker, Vocus, Salesforce, Mailchimp, Webex or Drupal a plus.
Additional Qualifications & Salary:
This is a full-time, senior level position, potentially based in either our San Francisco Bay Area or Washington, DC office with modest travel to conferences, training workshops and periodic staff meetings. This position which comes with a generous benefits, vacation, sabbatical and retirement package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
ReThink Media is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
How to Apply:
To apply, please carefully follow these instructions. Send your cover letter in the body of the email. Do not send it as an attachment. State the reason for your interest in the position, provide a brief summary of your professional experience, your stated salary requirements and address your background in relation to working on these issues. If you have applied for a previous position with Rethink Media please indicate this in your email. Attach your resume to the email and make sure to include your name in the title of the attachment (eg: resume.EmilyJones.doc). Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: ReThink Media MiP Managing Director.