Communications Specialist: FLORIDA
32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is seeking an aggressive, nimble and creative Communications Specialist to help drive a comprehensive and strategic communications program in a key market in the union’s eleven-state region. The communications program includes media relations, social media and member communications for contract fights, organizing drives and legislative and political campaigns.
The Communications Specialist will be a key member of the union’s communications team, responsible for communications in Florida, focused on the Miami and Fort Lauderdale areas. Additional capacity to support the specialist’s work will be added by union-wide New Media and Member Communications Strategists. This position is based in the union’s Miami office and will include regular travel to the union’s headquarters in New York City.
Candidates should be creative thinkers and capable and skilled multi-taskers who know how to utilize a range of communications tools to advance campaigns. The Communications Specialist reports to the Regional Communications Manager for the Southern Region, based in Philadelphia.
- Work with Regional Communications Manager to drive and execute communications plans, including media relations, new media and member communications, throughout the region;
- Initiate contact with and respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists; pitch story ideas and provide information to generate positive media coverage in the region;
- Build relationships with labor, immigration, political and other key media in the region;
- Write news advisories, news releases, background pieces, fact sheets, message documents and other press materials for campaigns;
- Draft member communications, including newsletters, emails, text messages and other materials for campaigns in the region;
- Conduct member interviews and spokesperson development for member communications materials and for public speaking;
- Strategize and implement new media components into campaigns, including concepts for microsites, Twitter, Facebook and email outreach;
- Perform other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
- Three to five years of experience in communications in labor, politics or advocacy organizations;
- Experience in strategic communications planning in large, multi-faceted organizations;
- Outstanding writer, able to create strong press releases, message documents and member communications materials;
- Familiarity with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area;
- Experience in working with and creating communications for union or organizational members on advocacy campaigns;
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with union members, low-wage and immigrant communities;
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines;
- Very strong preference for a candidate comfortable speaking and writing in Spanish;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments and planning
- Ability to travel regularly for planning meetings, events and member meetings.
32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is working to create good jobs for 150,000 workers in building, food, security and school services and for all working families. At the forefront of the fight for economic justice in eleven states and Washington DC, 32BJ works to improve low-wage work and strengthen families and communities.
- E-mail resume and three press-related writing samples, including your best press release, placement and op-ed to email@example.com
- No phone calls please.